What is SOA?
Service-oriented architecture (SOA) is essentially a set of frameworks, technologies and practices which make sharing data and business transactions between internal and external systems more efficient by leveraging reuse of data elements and capabilities across multiple systems and IT projects. Even though the term SOA is often used interchangeably with Web Services, it is important to keep in mind that Web Services represent just one component of SOA, albeit a very significant component. By applying a SOA framework to develop core business services, insurance companies can begin to integrate other existing systems with new point solutions. The introduction of a SOA can provide measurable long-term benefits, including reduced claim cycle time, reduced claim leakage, improved operational efficiency, consistency in claim handling, compliance with regulatory and reporting requirements, and reduced IT costs.
The BlueWave Claims SOA Framework
The BlueWave Claims SOA Framework is a flexible, underlying architecture that will allow companies to quickly and seamlessly integrate BlueWave Claims into even the most complex IT environment. Features of the BlueWave Claims SOA Framework include:
- Web Services using SOAP/XML messages transported over HTTP or TCP/IP;
- A SOA-enabled architecture which allows any business function within BlueWave Claims to be exposed as a Web Service available to other applications;
- A componentized design which enables a BlueWave Claims module to be integrated with, or replaced by, a similar functional component already in use within a carrier’s technical environment; and
- A number of other integration options that allow BlueWave Claims to communicate with any internal and external systems that make up even the most complex IT environment.
Benefits of the BlueWave Claims SOA Framework
By utilizing the SOA framework that is an inherent part of BlueWave Claims, insurance carriers can realize many significant benefits within claims departments, including:
- Increased business agility made possible by a reduction in the time, effort and cost required to build and launch new business products and services;
- Enablement of straight-through processing (STP) through the facilitation of the seamless flow of information throughout the enterprise and across the insurance value chain;
- Frictionless communication that promotes ease of doing business with the carrier for customers, agents and business partners; and
- Improved data quality resulting from clean, accessible and transparent claims data.
In addition, the BlueWave Claims SOA Framework can also deliver significant benefits to a carrier’s IT department, including:
- Reusable business services that can be leveraged across multiple IT systems and projects;
- The ability to quickly link and integrate BlueWave Claims with other internal and external systems;
- Lower total cost of ownership (TCO) through reduced IT development, maintenance costs and deployment times; and
- Increased IT staff capacity to address other strategic projects and new systems development.